Cherie P. Herring
5918 Woodvine Road • Columbia, SC 29206 • c: 803.960.9935
Columbia College, Columbia, SC, December, 1985
Masters of Music in Piano Performance, G.P.A.: 4.0.
Columbia College, Columbia, SC, May 1982
Bachelors of Music in Piano Pedagogy
Elementary Music Teacher, Hammond School, Columbia, SC 2003 – Present
Hammond School is a rigorous independent school of approx. 800 with an emphasis on liberal arts and a global education. Responsibilities include:
- Teaching general music to Pre-Kindergarten through Fourth Grade using the school’s objectives, Kodály techniques, the National Association for Music Educators (NAfME) standards, and music technology to develop and author the curriculum.
- Planning, rehearsing, conducting, and producing the music for all Grade Level programs, the Grandparents’ Day Concert, the December Holiday Concert, the Country of Study Opening Ceremony, weekly Third and Fourth Grade Chorus, Talent day events, and Auditions.
- Accompanying or creating accompaniment for Lower School Programs, Student Recitals, Rehearsals, and Performances throughout the year.
Technology Specialist / Hammond School 2010 – present
- Providing iPad and SMARTBoard support for students and teaching faculty.
- Organizing and conducting professional development events to introduce, train and challenge the teaching faculty to utilize available technology to transform student learning.
- Assisting in deployment and year-round maintenance of 1:1 iPads.
- Training teachers in the effective use of SMARTBoard technology to create interactive learning.
- Designing and creating SMARTNotebook files to support interactive learning throughout the school.
- Researching, designing, and coaching 21st century learning in individual classrooms.
- Designing and creating supportive iPad lessons/ projects/ activities for math, word sorts, spelling, US History, geography, writing, science, art, and library skills.
- Assisting in the development of project-based STEAM units across the curriculum.
- Collaborating with teachers to acclimate parents to the use of technology in our school.
- Serving on the Technology Committee for the entire school (2008 – present)
- Creating daily Encore Schedules for Grades PreK – through Four (2003 – present)
- Providing sound / technical support for student assemblies and meetings.
- Served as a faculty representative on the Board of Trustees (2015-2016)
- Served on the Lower School Head search committee (2013-2015)
Music Associate and Pianist, Shandon Baptist Church, Columbia, SC 1993 – 2003
- Assisting music director in all musical responsibilities for mega church of 4000+ members
- Serving as accompanist for all services and rehearsals each week
- Developing engaging curriculum, recruiting, training, and managing 60+ volunteer teachers for twelve children’s choirs each week
- Designing and orchestrating an innovative Musical Arts Camp for 450 students each summer (1993 – 2003). Offering thirty five different interest classes including the STAGE BAND where students create accompaniments using electronic instruments, and the Sound Team where students learn how to set up and run the sound system for the camp musical production.
- Authoring (Van Ness Pub.) two volumes of creative lesson plans for Children’s Choirs
- Directing and premiering new children’s choir musicals for Kathie Hill Music each year.
- Planning and hosting the “Creative Children’s Choir Coordinator’s Conference,” a week-long training / think-tank for 85 musicians from the largest churches in the United States.
Music Teacher: Columbia College; Columbia, SC 1983-1993
- Teaching private and group piano lessons to students of all ages and abilities.
- Developing and leading bi-monthly group enrichment classes including composer studies, composition contests, and performance master classes
- Developing interactive theory games and creative assignments utilizing the newly installed music computer lab.
- Planning and teaching group piano lessons to non-majors utilizing music technology in the keyboard lab.
- Conducting workshops sharing my personal successes using computers in music instruction with local and state level organizations in SC.
- Coordinating master classes and auditions for National Guild, Federation of Music Clubs, South Carolina Music Teachers Association, and Columbia Music Teachers Association.
- Serving as adjudicator for local, state, and regional piano auditions year round, including summer travel as a National Piano Guild Adjudicator.
Head of the Preparatory School
Coker College, Hartsville, SC 1986-1988
- Coordinating private and group lessons for all voice and piano students enrolled in the Music Preparatory School of Coker College
- Planning, coordinating, and teaching weekly group enrichment classes to supplement private piano instruction
- Teaching Music Appreciation to Coker College Evening students.
- Accompanying recitals, concerts, and auditions for students and faculty.
- Founded and planned a monthly music teachers’ brunch designed to share and promote creative ideas for teachers in a tri-county area.
- Google Educator Level 1 2017
- Apple Teacher 2016 (iPad and Mac)
- Seesaw Ambassador 2016
- SMART Notebook Education Instructor 2015
- SMART Exemplary Educator 2014
- SMART Certified Trainer
- SMART Certified Lesson Developer
- Member of TI:ME 2013 – present
- Member of ISTE 2013 – 2015
- Member of NAfME 1983 – present
- Member of SCMEA 2003 – present
- Member of SCMTA 1982 – 2004
- Chosen (1 of 75 worldwide) to attend the Global SMART SEE Summit, Alberta, Canada June, 2014
- “My Left-Field Lesson – Bring Life to Objects Using Aurasma” tes, December 2013
- “Made For Praise” (Volume 9: For Older Children) Jan. 1, 2003
Publisher: Nashville, TN : Dovetail Music : Genevox, ©2003.
- “Made for Praise” (Volume 5: For Older Children) Jan 1, 1999
Publisher: Nashville, TN : Dovetail Music : Genevox, ©1999.
- “Light a Fire, Fan the Flames” at the MATCH – Music and Technology Conference of Houston, TX October 2015
NCMEA: North Carolina Music Educators Conference, Winston-Salem, NC, November 2017
“21 SMARTBoard Superpowers for Musicians,” “Seesaw in the Elementary Music Class: A Game Changer,” and “Flipping the Elementary Music Class” at NCMEA in Winston-Salem, NC
Biennial Eastern Division Conference, Atlantic City, NJ April 2017
“STEAM in the Elementary Music Classroom” with Amy Burns, “Go Green with 5 Collaborative Project Ideas Using Green Screens,“ “SMARTBoard Master Class for Music Teachers,” and “Tots and Technology”
TMEA: Texas Music Educators Association, San Antonio, TX February, 2017
“STEAM in the Elementary Music Classroom” with Amy Burns, “SMARTBoard Master Class for Music Teachers,” and “Go Green with 5 Collaborative Project Ideas Using Green Screens”
SCMEA: South Carolina Music Educators’ Association, Convention, Columbia, SC February, 2017
“SMARTBoard Master Class for Music Teachers” and “Tots and Technology”
FMEA: Florida Music Educators Association January 2016
“Flip Learning in the Elementary Classroom”
TMEA: Texas Music Educators Association, San Antonio, TX – February 10-12, 2016,
”Saddle Up Your Music Class… Giddy Up, SAMR!” with Amy Burns and “Show What You Know with iPads: Make It, Take It”
MATCH (Music and Technology Houston) October 2015
Keynote Speaker: “Light a Fire, Fan the Flames: The Impact of Empathy and Curiosity on Learning”
“Technology for Tots,” and Make It-Take It: Show What You Know with Two Amazing iPad Apps”
NCMEA, Winston Salem, NC, November 2015
“iPads in the Music Room: Do the Inconceivable!” and “SMARTBoard Activities and Assessments”
NYSSMA, Rochester, NY December 2015
“Opps, I Flipped My Recorder Class,” “iPads – Let’s do the Inconceivable!” and “Make it – Take it: Show What You Know With Two Amazing iPad Apps”
TMEA: Texas Music Educators Association, San Antonio, TX February 2015
“Not Your Momma’s Music Class,” and “Opps, I Flipped My Recorder Class”
SPARK “Musicians as Educators” University of South Carolina February 2015
Additional Resources Used in Workshops
Resource Site for Integrating Technology: https://sites.google.com/site/musictechintegrate/
Resource Site for Flipping the Music Classroom: https://sites.google.com/site/flippingtherecorderunitandmore/
Resource Site for Recorder Students: https://sites.google.com/site/recorderkids15/
Teachers Pay Teachers Store: https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Cherie-Herring