This collection of 18 SMARTBoard Musical Adventures & Assessments is designed to create fun, interactive assessment opportunities for children in grades 2 – 4.
Giving assessments are always challenging in my music classroom! Perfect for the fall, with its Leaf-themed pages, this Notebook 11 file will also work well as an assessment anytime during the school year. Even if you don’t use it for an assessment, it will provide 18 SMARTBoard Musical Adventures & Assessments your students will enjoy.
There are 18 different musical assessment pages.
Many of the pages can easily work with more than one student. Some pages use the Notebook 11 Activity Builder feature. If you are using Notebook 10, these pages will not have the disappearing properties. You may still use them, but they just won’t have that “cool” factor!! In that case, just have the students move the items to the correct answer. . No problem!
18 SMARTBoard Musical Adventures & Assessments
*Here is a list of musical concepts covered:
- Find 12 Quarter Notes
- Sort note patterns that go up, go down, or repeat
- Find 12 Half Notes and blow them away
- Listen to two musical phrases from the telephone: SAME OR DIFFERENT?
- Move three notes around to make six different pitch patterns
- Candy Bar Rhythm sort 1
- Touch each Quarter Rest to make it disappear
- Listen to phone pitches and identify high / low sound pictures
- Candy Bar Rhythm Sort 2
- Touch the Middle C Bubbles to save them from the spider. Middle C is pictured as a quarter note, whole noted, half-note. The notes are spinning.
- Follow the eighth note to make it through a maze
- Listen to rhythm patterns and identify as SAME or DIFFERENT
- Listen for styles of music and match musical styles with car styles
- Listen: Is it this melody or that melody?
- Listen: is it this rhythm pictured or that rhythm pictured?
- Animal rhythm sort
- Put these dynamic markings in correct order from softest to loudest.
- Use the Magnifying Glass to find 6 half-notes
* There are several pages with more advanced content. These pages are clearly marked in the “NOTES” section.
Practice the Musical Adventures & Assessments !
Before using this SMART Notebook collection with children, I encourage you to go through each page carefully to see how it is designed and avoid presenting it “on the fly!” With preparation, I think you will have the perfect way to present the information and explain what is being asked of your students. I purposely did not write down every instruction I would give my students… I find that the fewer words I use, the better! Kids are smart, and they get it quicker than we do!
Many uses for these Musical Adventures & Assessments
It would be ideal if students were able to access this file on a 1:1 computer. Without the SMART iPad app, using this SMART Notebook lesson will require some creativity on the part of the teacher in a 1:1 iPad classroom. As long as I make it a game and keep the pace moving, my students waiting for a turn at the SMARTBoard, are usually just as involved in the learning activity. I have found that I can have my students using an app like EduCreations or Explain Everything and keep them busy illustrating the concept being assessed while the single student is at the SMARTBoard. It has been my experience that the children are so excited about interacting with the activity that they are right around the SMARTBoard the whole time ever without asking. Take a look at the video below to get a feel for how it all works in the classroom.
Here is a video of my students:
This file, 18 SMARTBoard Musical Adventures and Assessments lesson, is now available in my Teachers Pay Teachers store. My goal is to create excellent SMARTBoard activities that totally engage the children so they won’t even know they are being assessed!
I live for that giggle that comes with a twinkle in the eyes of my toughest boys and snootiest girls! I know you do too!
Latest posts by Cherie Herring (see all)
- 23 Updated SMARTboard Musical Activities - June 22, 2017
- Chladni Patters, Tonoscope, and Green Screen Magic - January 22, 2017
- 3 Green Screen Tempo Videos for Kindergarten - January 16, 2017