Just in time for the cold, snowy days of winter, here is a COOL SMARTBoard Lesson: Snowflake Music Math
This activity, Snowflake Music Math for Grades 1-3, combines the best of music and math into an interactive SMARTBoard lesson perfect for the winter months.
Prior Knowledge: Students must know the following note values: dotted half, half, quarter, quarter rest, and eighth note pair
Music + Math – In this activity, students must add and/ or subtract note values to reach a specific sum.
Snowflake Music Math Rhythms
- Touch a snowflake on the home page.
- Get an assignment. Linked snowflakes take students to a random page with an assignment to find a note value or a sum.
- When the student is ready, they press, “GO.”
- The next link is a page of spinning snowflakes. The students touch snowflakes to complete the assignment. Touched snowflakes stop spinning.
- When the student is done, they touch the HOME link and the flakes reset for the next student.
- There is an occasional SPLAT page linked just for fun.
SPLAT – Brain Break!
When I designed this lesson, the spinning animation feature seemed perfect for falling snow. It’s kid-tested fun! When my students land on “SPLAT,” that is the signal to stand up, beat on your chest like Tarzan while turning around two times and sit back down like a church mouse. It’s a 3 second brain break that makes the activity so cool!
Snowflake Music Math is available on my Teachers Pay Teachers store.
I know you and your students will enjoy the musical snow!
Latest posts by Cherie Herring (see all)
- Aurasma Brings Music to Life: It’s a Game Changer! - September 28, 2017
- 2nd Graders Hired St Louis Symphony Orchestra - August 5, 2017
- Star Spangled Banner STAR QUEST - July 31, 2017